Friday, September 27, 2013

Meetings, Marketing, and Mosaiculture.

Atlanta Botanical Garden
Garden blogging tends to be a solitary life. You start seeds, pull weeds, write about what's working and what's not. And, if you're like me, you fret, wondering if anyone reads what you're writing. 

Helloooo? Is anyone out there? 

A comment left on a post incites a happy dance. So, armed with this positive reinforcement, you go back and do it again.

But there are a few times each year when we garden bloggers abandon our gardens and lonely desks.

This year, more than 80 bloggers gathered for the Garden Bloggers' Fling--an annual garden tour extravaganza. I've been remiss in writing about this garden love-fest, last held in San Francisco, simply because it's taken me three months to sort and edit the 2,000 photos I took over the course of three days.

Yes. The Fling is that good.

This week, however, I spent two days at the Garden Bloggers' Conference in Atlanta, hosted by Digital Sherpa. It was the antithesis of the Fling but in a positive way. For two solid days, we lovers of the outdoors sat sequestered in a windowless conference room, learning. Social media, SEO, technology, photography...plus, a healthy dose of star power inspiration from garden bloggers who've made it big.

It was exactly what this non-techie girl needed.

Not only did my brain nearly explode from so much information, my social network expanded. I adored meeting and chatting with garden bloggers whom I've followed online for years. 

Of course, one of my most memorable moments involved one of my favorite garden writers. 

Amy Stewart.

Garden-writer guru, I've always adored Amy's books and her collaborative blog, Garden Rant. So, like a 12-year-old with a crush on One Direction, I approached Ms. Stewart after her presentation to gush over one of my favorite books she's written, From the Ground Up: The Story of a First Garden

I promptly spilled red wine all over my peach silk blouse and slunk away.

OK, so maybe it was too much socializing for those of us who spend days alone and afternoons chauffeuring 8- and 12-year-olds.

While the conference was fabulous (I now have so much work to do!), what would a garden conference be without a trip to a garden?

Atlanta Botanical Garden

Before driving home to resume mom-duty, I headed to the Atlanta Botanical Garden. Of course, mom-guilt kicked in after being away from the family, but it was worth the two-hour delayed return to reality.


 Atlanta Botanical Garden


You see, there was a special display I needed to visit.


Atlanta Botanical Garden

Imaginary Worlds: Plants Larger than Life lived up to its name. 

A creative partnership between the Atlanta Botanical Garden and International Mosaiculture of Montreal, the living sculptures inspired awe, both in the enormity of the endeavor and the detailed care for each complex form. 

Atlanta Botanical Garden

Incorporated throughout the garden, each sculpture showcases the art of "Mosaiculture"--a combination of art and gardening. First popular in 16th century Europe, where wealthy landowners commissioned three-dimensional "embroidery beds," mosaiculture became the term known in 19th century France for geometric, mosaic-like forms of planted sculptures.

Atlanta Botanical Garden

Atlanta Botanical Garden

Atlanta Botanical Garden

International Mosaiculture of Montreal, a nonprofit organization created in 1998, launched the first international mosaiculture competition in 2000 to showcase gardening and horticulture as representative of "new millennium values." Many of the garden bloggers who attended the Garden Writers' Association's conference this fall visited Montreal's mosaiculture exhibition. However, Atlanta's exhibition is the first time Imaginary Worlds is on display in the U.S.

Atlanta Botanical Garden

Personally, I think the Ogre would make an excellent statement in our front yard.

Atlanta Botanical Garden


I'm rather enamored with these bunnies. I wonder if I can stretch my gardening expertise to make up for my lack of artistic ability and create these for our garden? A funny thing happened when Proven Winners ColorChoice Flowering Shrubs posted a photo of the mosaiculture bunnies on its Facebook page: they were inundated with queries from potential customers! I think, perhaps, they should add mosaiculture bunnies to their product line. (I know I would be first in line to purchase.)



Part of the fun involved discovering the mosaiculture sculptures throughout the gardens. Yes, you could cheat and look at the map, but it was more interesting to wander the paths, admiring anemones and art...

Atlanta Botanical Garden

...then--BOOM! A bigger-than-life, rotating, dancing fish sculpture greets you.

Atlanta Botanical Garden

Or, perhaps you're admiring camellia sinensis, reading a sign about its usefulness in making tea...

Atlanta Botanical Garden

...and when you look up, you find a giant strawberry hovering over you.

In fact, while I was delighted with the mosaiculture, I also found myself impressed with the breadth and diversity of the edible garden. Most botanical gardens tuck a few tired tomatoes and perhaps some peppers into a tiny plot, just to join the edible trend.

Atlanta Botanical Gardens

Atlanta Botanical Garden

Atlanta Botanical Garden

Atlanta Botanical Garden
(I will plant a living herb wall some day. I will.)

Atlanta Botanical Garden

Atlanta Botanical Garden

The Atlanta Botanical Garden appears to take edible gardening seriously. Bravo!

After wandering the woodland paths, I finally reached my goal: the Cascades Garden...

Atlanta Botanical Garden

...and the Earth Goddess. Isn't she fabulous?

I headed home, filled with gardening inspiration.

Now, to put all of that knowledge and inspiration to use...

Happy Friday!

XOXO ~

Julie 



6 comments:

  1. I am ashamed to say that I've never been there! I must rectify this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessie! As often as you're in GA, you need to take the kids to the gardens. There's a children's garden, too--but since I was without the kiddos and short on time, I skipped it. You should go!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow. That ogre...the horse....gotta love that herb wall too! Thanks for the post. Such a windy spring morning here in Canberra. The sun is-a-shining and the kids are still tucked up in bed (school hols) and the porridge is on the boil. Planning a trip to the garden shop. An olive, a coupla cornus, a packet of foxglove seeds and a maple tree should sate my planting desires for this week.
    Keep smiling (and blogging)
    Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqui, I'm longing for a school holiday--so are the kids. Your morning sounds divine...(especially the trip to the garden center!) I love foxgloves--and definitely need to add some next year. Hope you enjoyed a lovely day!

      Delete
  3. Those really looks good. Who did them! Really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a beautiful garden. Youve inspired me to make some holiday bouquets.

    ReplyDelete